Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Fudge Revel Bars

I was in the mood for baking the other day, and craving some chocolate (what's new). So I scrounged through my collection of trusty church cookbooks looking for something that a) fit into the category above to curb my craving, and b) I had all the ingredients for (or thought I did). I have had these bars many times before but had never made them myself. I got started while Levi napped, and as I gathered the ingredients for the next step in the recipe, I realized that I didn't have a can of sweetened condensed milk in the cupboard like I thought I did. Whoops. Thank goodness that it was Sunday and Paul was home, he (being the wonderful husband he is) ran up to the convenience store and got some for me. I did a couple things differently that I will make note of following the recipe, but I wanted to give the recipe in it's original form. They turned out great and satisfied my chocolate craving! :)


Fudge Revel Bars

1 cup margarine or butter, softened
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups quick oatmeal
1 (12 oz) pkg milk chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp margarine or butter
2 tsp vanilla

Cream together 1 cup margarine and 2 cups brown sugar. Add the beaten eggs and vanilla, mix. Add the soda, salt, flour and oatmeal. Mix well and spread 2/3 into jelly roll pan. Melt together chocolate chips, condensed milk, margarine and vanilla. Stir until melted. Pour over crust in pan. With fingers crumble remaining crust on top and spread over chocolate mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Notes:
- I used a 9x13 pan because I wanted them to be thicker, and because of that I needed to add about 10 minutes to the baking time.
- I used semi-sweet chocolate chips just because I like them better.
- I found out the hard way that these should cool completely before digging in, otherwise they are pretty melty.
  
Hope you enjoy them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment