Sunday, May 6, 2012

rhubarb bread


When we first moved to our house in town here, I was super excited to see that there was a small rhubarb patch. As long as I can remember, my mom has been making strawberry-rhubarb jelly (posting that recipe soon!) and yummy rhubarb desserts. Paul has also grown up with the same traditions, so I was happy that I can continue to make some of those yummy recipes along with some new ones, like this recipe for rhubarb bread. This quick bread recipe comes from a church cookbook that I have. I've made it a couple times now, and we both really like it. It as a brown sugar cinnamon topping that I think really adds to it. Enjoy!


Rhubarb Bread
Makes 1 loaf

1/2 c. shortening
2 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1 c. sugar
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 c. rhubarb, diced
2 T. brown sugar or honey
1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together shortening, eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in rhubarb. Pour into a 5x9x2 inch loaf pan. Mix together brown sugar or honey and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of bread before putting into the oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment